8/24 — Stone Age Turns 10 Years Old
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of its release, Z-Man Games is putting out a limited edition of Stone Age. The core gameplay of the classic board game remains the same – players set out to collect resources (gold, wood, etc.) in order to grow and progress their civilizations. Stone Age Anniversary comes with a double-sided board, upgraded components, and even a few new gameplay options. It’s going to retail for $79.99 and is due to hit shelves in Q4 2018. For more info, including how to pre-order, head over to the source.
8/27 — Days of Wonder Return with The River
It’s not often that we have Days of Wonder news, but the publisher had a nice surprise for us earlier this week. In their blog, they announced a brand new board game entitled The River, a worker and tile placement game from designers Sébastien Pauchon and Ismaël Perrin. In The River, players take on the roles of pioneers sailing down a river in search of new lands to settle. Utilizing resources from the land, players will build settlements and expand their territories. In the end, the player with the “most impressive settlement” wins the game. For 2-4 players, The River is designed to only take 30-45 minutes to play and is due to release at Essen in October. It will then have a wider release in November for a suggested retail of $40. For further details, click here.
8/29 – Doubling Down on the Mad King
In collaboration with Bezier Games, Stonemaier Games (Scythe) is publishing a new entry in the Mad King Ludwig series, Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig. In this game, 2-7 players take on the roles of master builders who are tasked with constructing the Mad King’s castles. However, these projects are too difficult for any one builder, so players will be paired together to design Ludwig’s insane projects. In order to do this, players will always be working with the players sitting to their right and left on two separate castles. At the end of a session, projects are scored and the player with the highest individual castle score wins. Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is set to release worldwide on October 19, 2018 for an MSRP of $45. For more, click here.
- Renegade Game Studios announced Ghostbusters: The Card Game, which is set to release in the fall. If collecting ghost cards and ghost points sounds like your thing, you’ll want to check this one out.
- AEG revealed a bunch of information about their special release, Love Letter Wedding Edition. Not much has changed in regards to the classic card game, except that the cards now feature a wedding theme.
- Rather Dashing Games previewed their newest game, Wakening Lair, a “cooperative dungeon delve” for 2-6 players.
- Arcane Wonders has made their Critical Mass bundle available for pre-order. Fans of mech games will want to check this one out.
- Fans of humorous, mature games will want to take a look at Cryptozoic’s Epic Spell WarsTM of the Battle Wizards: Panic at the Pleasure Palace.
- WizKids released three new games recently: Doppelgänger, Maiden’s Quest, and Star Trek: Galactic Enterprises.
- Fantasy Flight Games were relatively quiet, though they did preview two of their upcoming titles: Heroes of Terrinoth and Cosmic Encounter 42nd Anniversary Edition.
- Lastly, I just perused the pages for Games Workshop’s Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game and oh my goodness, that game looks awesome.