8/3 — Game of Thrones Crosses the Narrow Sea
One of the board games that really got us into the hobby was A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, which we started playing way back in 2003. Because of this, we’re definitely happy to hear that a new expansion for it is on the way, the Mother of Dragons expansion. Finally, players will be able to cross the Narrow Sea and travel to the Free Cities of Essos, which are added via an extension to the main game board. Mother of Dragons also adds new mechanics and a new playable faction, House Targaryen. In order to win as the Targaryens, players will have to earn the loyalties of several territories, instead of capturing castles and strongholds. This expansion is already available for pre-order, and if you want to read more about it, click here.
8/7 — Defend the Starcadian Alliance
CMON announced a new board game for 2-4 players entitled Starcadia Quest, in which players take on the roles of Hero Crews in the midst of a campaign against the enemies of the Starcadian Alliance. Players will have the same goals, but it’s also every man for themselves. In Starcadia Quest, choices have consequences, which should create an immersive narrative. And whether or not players are familiar with the Arcadia Quest series, the rules and gameplay are designed to be intuitive for everyone. This game is coming to Kickstarter on August 28, and you can find out more about it here.
8/13 — Prepare to Discover Lands Unknown
It’s always awesome when a big publisher unveils a new IP, which Fantasy Flight Games recently did when they announced Discover: Lands Unknown. From designer Corey Konieczka, Discover has 1-4 players trying to survive a number of environments, enemies, and storylines. As a “Unique Game”, each copy of this game will be different, which means potential buyers can expect their copy of Discover to come with a mix of items, enemies, environments, and more that’s one of a kind. If you’re interested in traversing the wilderness and stretching out your survivalist muscles, check out Discover: Lands Unknown, which is releasing in Q4 2018.
8/14 — Dune Is Coming to the Tabletop
Fans of Frank Herbert’s Dune series will be excited to hear that Gale Force Nine have entered into an agreement with Legendary Entertainment and the Frank Herbert Estate to produce tabletop RPGs and games set in the Dune universe. The licensing agreement is a multiyear deal, which means Gale Force Nine will have time to create a number of titles, including board games and miniatures games that are scheduled to release before the newest Dune film (2020). For more, including the full GF9 release, click here.
- One of the cooler stories from the past two weeks was the announcement of Vampire: The Masquerade – Heritage. It’s a legacy board game with a story that lasts 700 years. For more, click here.
- Wizards of the Coast previewed the races featured in their upcoming Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica, which releases in November.
- Renegade Game Studios revealed another game they have on the way, Passing Through Petra, in which players maintain a settlement and trade with passing caravans. Also, another one of their games, Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid, just launched its Kickstarter.
- Fantasy Flight Games announced several expansions: a 5-6 Players Expansion for A Game of Thrones Catan: Brotherhood of the Watch, the Super Star Destroyer Expansion Pack for Star Wars: Armada, the Lord Vorun’thul Hero Expansion for Runewars Miniatures Game, and the Baron Zachareth Hero Expansion for Runewars Miniatures Game.
- Steve Jackson Games unveiled another edition of their hit Munchkin series, Munchkin Warhammer 40000.